Q: I found what seems to be an abandoned well on my newly-purchased property. It has a 36″ concrete rim 6″ above the surrounding soil and I can see water at the bottom. What should I do now?
A: You can’t just fill it full of rocks and call it a day. Your well could be a source of contamination for your property.
I’ll quote from the factsheet I list below:
Proper water well abandonment:
1) Restores protective barrier to minimize groundwater contamination
2) Removes physical hazards by removing tempting openings for curious children and animals
3) Restores stability to the land surface
4) Eliminates or reduces liability
5) Protects and improves property values
Click here for the best advice: Water Well Abandonment
Tags For This Article: abandoned well