Q: My tree surgeon said pine was OK to burn in a fireplace. He said if it dries for a year in hot sun it will be fine.
A: He’s right. It is a misconception that pine wood forms more chimney creosote than hardwoods. The speed of burning and the draft up the chimney have much more effect on creosote than the type of wood burned. Creosote forms when wood stoves, not chimneys, are allowed to smolder all night. Any wood will deposit creosote if lots of smoke is produced. Hardwood is more dense than pine, so it burns longer, but both can be enjoyed in your fireplace in winter.