What’s this

« Back to Name that Plant

Date Photo Taken: 06/23/2013
Location: Sugar land, TX
Posted By: frcook

Notes:

Want to know it this is poisonous.

COMMENTS

  1. susan Unregistered says:

    Nope, not poisonous. It’s Virginia Creeper. Remember this poem for poison oak and ivy: “Leaves of 3, let it be!”

    June 23rd, 2013 at 5:05 pm
  2. frcook Registered says:

    Thank you very much!

    June 24th, 2013 at 12:40 am
  3. stone Flower Fanatic says:

    I would not say that virginia creeper wasn’t poisonous… I always heard it was.

    After reading the above answer… I did a search… Found this:
    http://eattheweeds.com/forum/index.php/topic,1558.0.html

    Can cause contact dermatitis, berries will put you in the hospital.

    Virginia creeper is pretty… But poisonous.
    But there are a number of species of birds (35) that can eat the berries…

    June 24th, 2013 at 8:35 am
  4. susan Unregistered says:

    Walter calls Virginia Creeper ‘harmless’, and references these pics for comparison: http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/poison-ivy-pictures/

    June 24th, 2013 at 10:57 am
  5. sunnysue2009 Flower Fanatic says:

    Many, many plants we grow in our gardens have some part or the other that is poisonous or can irritate the skin. Good idea…don’t eat the berries or rub the leaves on your skin. Just enjoy it’s beauty.

    Wildlife: The berries of this plant are eaten by many animals especially birds. Animals such as mice, skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, cattle and deer will munch on the leaves and stems.

    http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_paqu2.pdf

    June 26th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Leave a Reply