Landscaping – Starting Your Own Business

Q: I want to start a landscape business installing flowers in small beds. What licenses do I need?

A: It may be more complicated than you think. Todd Hurt, Training Coordinator for the UGA Center for Urban Agriculture says you need the following: a business license issued by your local municipality, a Level 1A Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Certificate, and a Live Plant Dealer License. If any pesticide is used, a commercial pesticide applicator’s license is required.
The Georgia Certified Landscape Professional program for landscape contractors is also a good idea. I have a more complete list of requirements at

  • Advertisement