Black Soot On My Crapemyrtle

Black sooty stuff

Q: I still have black sooty stuff on my crape myrtle from last summer. What is it and how do I get rid of it? 

A: I think it’s leftover sooty mold that grew on the honeydew produced by crapemyrtle aphids last year. It should gradually wash off in the rain but you can speed up the process by spraying the trunks with a soap mixture. Do not use dish detergent. Mix five tablespoons of Ivory liquid soap with a gallon of water, spray the tree, let it soak for a few minutes, and then rinse the soap and sooty mold off.

  • Advertisement